The Improver Ep 6. The power of positivity
This time, co-founders Dr Na’eem Ahmed and Lara Mott talk to Helen Bevan, Chief Transformation Officer at NHS Horizons and Göran Henriks, who is Chief Executive of Learning and Innovation at the Qulturum in Jönköping, Sweden. These esteemed titles provide merely a glimpse of their cumulative 70 years in health innovation, however. Alongside her day-job (for which she has been recognised as one of the most 60 influential people in the history of the NHS) Helen provides advice, guidance, and training on transformational change to healthcare leaders across the world; whilst Göran is also a senior fellow of the Institute for Healthcare Improvement and the chair of the Strategic Committee of the International Forum on Quality and Safety in Healthcare.
The pace of change has been positively affected by the pandemic, and those who had already invested in their improvement capabilities have been on the front foot. But are we in danger of going back to some of the old ways? How do you give the people at the heart of huge, hierarchical institutions the agency and autonomy to make change happen as we move forward? How can we create learning systems? We hear what the gurus, who’ve experienced more than most, believe.
- Why we shouldn’t be working harder but thinking about what to stop doing (as much as what to start doing)
- How feedback from the frontline is more critical than ever
- How leaders can motivate an exhausted workforce – and how psychological safety and a sense of belonging are paramount
- Why you don’t always have to ask for permission – experimentation is the order of the day
- How each and every one of us has phenomenal power – but you can’t be a change agent on your own
- Why purpose, a vision and a mission are crucial as well as collaboration
- How with wisdom, comes trust and believing the people
A window into the thinking of these hugely experienced innovators is a real privilege.
Check out ImproveWell
Connect with Helen, Gorän, Na’eem and Lara on LinkedIn
Follow Helen and Gorän on Twitter
Download the full episode transcript
For questions or to provide feedback on this episode, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org